Girl Guides Sailing
The Glenmore Sailing Club's Introduction to Sailing Course for Girl Guides is built on decades of youth sailing instruction. This is a three hour course (on shore instruction and sailing time) using the Optimist sailboat (photo above).
Leaders and Parents
Here's what you need to know before, and while, the kids are sailing with us.
Youth Summer Sailing Camps
For youth wanting more than this three-hour introduction to sailing course... the Club has summer sailing camps
Frequently Asked QuestionsDo we need a membership at the sailing club to take sailing courses?
What is the ratio of youth to sailing instructors?
How safe is sailing?
- 1 instructor to 9 participants
Does my child need to be able to swim to go sailing?
- Very. The Optimist sailboats we use to teach new sailors are stable and easy to sail.
- The Sailing Club has a coach / safety boat providing instruction and ensuring youth are safe while on the water.
- The City of Calgary Boat Patrol on the Glenmore Reservoir can provide safety assistance if required.
- Statement of Risk and Waiver for sailing.
Are there any required prerequisites before going sailing?
How many youth can go out in boats at one time?
- No. PFD's are mandatory (City of Calgary Bylaw) when anyone is on the Glenmore Reservoir. Comfort around the water is helpful.
- 16 total
- For smaller youth the Optimist sailboat can safely carry two youth at a time. There are two controls (rudder and main sail) and the youth take turns steering and controlling the sail.
- After about age 8, youth would typically sail an Optimist individually.
What other sailing opportunities are there for youth?
- Youth that want more sailing and coaching can join the Youth Race Team. The Team receives regular coaching from Sail Canada certified coaches. The Team also participates in the Wednesday Night Series and weekend regattas (locally and at other sailing clubs).
Can Youth take more than one camp in one summer?
- Yes. Some youth take multiple camps over the summer
Sign up your group now