Wednesday Night Racing
Sign up as Race Committee in the Members Area.
Welcome to the Club's weekly racing series. Sailboat racing is a great way to build and hone your sailing skills.
Racing at the Club is either "one design" or "handicap" racing.
One Design racing is boats of the same design / type competing against each other and the skill of the sailor(s) determines the outcome of the race.
Handicap Racing is a system that mathematically attempts to make boats of different designs / types comparable. The sailors' skill contributes to the outcome of the race and there is an "x" factor added by the math calculations.
The Club offers a free Racing School to help sailors get up to speed on the rules of the road for racing.
Don't have a boat? Sign up for the free Pickup Crew List and join the crew of a racing boat.
Why race sailboats?
- People play soccer and baseball for friendly competition against other teams;
- We sail for friendly competition against other crews.
- For the post-racing burgers and beverages at the sailing club.
Come join us Wednesday evenings May through the middle of September.
See you on the start line.
Wednesday Night Racing
Notice of Race and Sailing Instructions
Summary of key points:
- Race Committee Procedures (aka Race Committee 101)
- 18:30 start
- 18:00 start for the last four evenings of the season
- Experienced and Novice Fleets
- 3 minute start sequence
- To participate you must be a Glenmore Sailing Club Individual, Family or Youth/Student member, a guest of a Glenmore Sailing Club member, or a member of an Alberta Sailing Association member club. Guest Policy in effect
- Finish line is an obstruction
- Time targets and limits
- 20 minutes max to reach the first mark
- 45 minutes - target time for first boat in each fleet
- 60 minutes - max time for any boat in a fleet
- Each boats worst 25% of results are discard in the series
- PFDs are mandatory at all times on the water. Boats with sailors not adhering this this shall be scored a DSQ in each race where lifejackets were not worn. These DSQs may not be appealed and are not eligible to be discarded.
- Please follow all City of Calgary bylaws and direction from Boat Patrol.
- Be nice, have fun, sail fast, and come to the Club after racing for the social and awards.
Welcome to the sailing community. See you on the water and at the club!